Here are some handy tips for talking to members of a multiple system. C:
- Please don’t call us “alters” or “personalities”.
- Please don’t ask if we’ll switch so you can talk to someone else. Unless we’ve okayed it first, it’s just kind of rude.
- We are all real people. Please treat us as such.
- There was not always a trauma that caused the headmates to appear. Y’know that movie Sybil? Yeah, it’s not always like that.
- Please address whoever is fronting, not one of the other headmates. Again, it’s rude.
- Multiplicity is not always a disorder.
- Not every system wants or needs to integrate.
- Not all headmates are dangerous.
- Not all systems are unstable.
- We’ve been dealing for this longer than you’ve known us. Don’t presume that just because you’ve seen The United States Of Tara, took a college course in psychology, or know someone with DID that you know all there is to know about multiplicity.
- We are ALL people.
- And finally, if you’re not sure about anything? ASK. NEVER assume. (And that’s just a good rule for ANYTHING really.)