Singlet Privilege Checklist
Singlet Privilege List
Please note this is a collaborative effort of the plural community here on Tumblr and is not to be tied to any one person/system in particular. We’re posting it here for discussion. -Scorpii
As a singlet…
- It is assumed you exist.
- You will be legally recognized as a person.
- You have a reasonable expectation that people will see you as a unique and individual person.
- You won’t be told that you need to stop existing as an individual to be healthy.
- You won’t be told that you’re a hallucination.
- You won’t be told that you’re faking your own existence.
- You won’t be told that you exist as the result of someone else coping with trauma.
- It will not be assumed that you exist as part of a disorder.
- You can go to a mental health professional about an issue unrelated to being a singlet and not have the subject changed to the fact that you’re a singlet.
- You can go to a mental health professional with the expectation that your issues will be regarded as real.
- Your past experiences and memories will not be questioned for being a singlet.
- You will not be assumed to be a danger to yourself or others for being a singlet.
- Being out and vocal as a singlet will not threaten your personal life, job opportunities, or risk institutionalization.
- You can expect to see other singlets represented in the media in a positive light.
- Being a singlet is not vilified or exotified by the media (see Sybil, Fight Club, the majority of this page).
- You aren’t expected to look like someone else or share their race, religion, or other traits.
- Your race and/or species are not called into question for being singlet.
- Your capability or mental health are not calling into question for existing as a singlet.
- You can easily remain ignorant of the existence of multiplicity.
- You can dismiss multiplicity as illness, childishness, or imaginary.
- You can go your entire life without being called a singlet.
- You can ignore your singlet privilege.